Lost and Foundlings

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:52:58 -0600

>From: "Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey" <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
>Subject: infanticide

>I wouldn't look for infanticide among Praxians, but rather in the cities of
>Glorantha.
>In the ancient real world people in cities would often "expose" children.
>There were quite enuf people already and even more children was not needed.
>Babies didn't always have to be weak or sickly to be exposed either. Anyone
>could frequent the dumps to look for babies to raise as future slaves.

        Another common place to leave children was the marketplace, where someone was guaranteed to find the child. Most such infants seem to have been enslaved. It was a common theme/fear in ancient literature to meet a slave who is secretly a character's abandoned child. Oedipus is something of a variation on this theme. Incest features as a prominent threat in these stories. Several of Shakespeare's plays employ variations on this story.

Andrew E. Larsen