Re: Lunar tricksters?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:13:35 GMT

Andrew Barton:
> Do tricksters have a social role in the Lunar Empire, as they do in
> Orlanthi society? Or would they be opposed to the empire, as an
> underground resistance? Or both?

I imagine that in the spirit of Lunar Tolerance, there's a place for, for example, Rakenveg that's at least notionally more accepting of his role than the Dara Happans are/were. But in keeping with my view that for Lunar Tolerance in most cases read Imperial Pragmatics, I don't think it's a very great place, anyway. (Inside a Xaronium, perhaps?)

As others have said, 'throw the rascal out' is basically everyone _but_ the Orlanthi's attitude to Tricksters. Come to that, it has some fairly zealous adherents as a policy down our way, too... In Grand Cosmological terms, one might say that Trickster is the Orlanthi's way of reconciling themselves magically and mythically to the seemingly capricious forces of creation and destruction of the universe, which the Lunars approach more directly in their worship of the Goddess herself. One might note, to wax ever more vague, that in the RQ3 mini-generic-cults, the Moon Goddess and the Trickster are described in decidedly symmetrical terms, with the difference being that the MG is 'possibly knowable'. In G.an terms, one might say that the means of such knowing is Lunar mysticism, in all its wacky forms.

Or in other words: who needs Tricksters when your government is a theocracy of LBCs and other types so tripped-out they're in danger of being picked up on radar?

Cheers,
Alex.