RE: The Glorantha Digest V7 #457

From: Bob Stancliff <stancliff_at_ccgnv.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:53:52 -0500

>From: "Alexandre Lanciani" <alexanl_at_tin.it>
>Subject: The differences between Vinga's woad and Orlanth's
> Vinga was a brave weaponthane of Orlanth, as good as any
>other thane of his... and like all the
>warriors of the tribe she marched in battle naked but for the
>blue woad they...

        Frankly, Alex, I can't remember a single myth where Orlanth wore woad into battle. Most of his combat myths start with the Armoring Ceremony. At least three years ago I made a house rule that took the woad spell from Orlanth and gave it to Storm Bull. It feels far more correct and 'mythic' for worshippers of a Blue Berseker God to paint themselves blue and run naked, and screaming, into battle... even the women.

        Orlanthi and Vingans might wear some woad, but it is probably more selective, like the cover art for Hero Wars where the guy wears pants with woad on the rest of his body. The obvious advantage of woad is that you get armor without encumbrance, which, in RQ, lets you fight longer before resting.
Stancliff