Dragonewt ecology

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:17:19 +1200

Master Gollum

>20.000 are the dragonwets of Dragon Pass. If most of them live Dragon's
>Eye lands, how subsist? I think for hunter society is impossible
>maintain a great city, it need some infrastructure. If orlanthi farmer
>the land they take dragonwet habitat. Where hunter after? For feed
>20.000 mouth it need a lot of food!

The Dragon's Eye is a large city and thus has between six and twentyfive  thousand 'newts. The population would be at the smaller end of the scale because the population of the 'newts of Dragon Pass also includes five other cities.

A further breakdown depends on the proportion of 'newts of each kind. The Dragon Pass boardgame gives the 'newts three priest counters, five beaked counters and eight crested counters. Assuming the priests counter are tailed/nobles and that the number of full dragonewts is neglible, we get the following rough breakdown:

Crested 'newts:	10,000
Beaked 'newts:	 6,250
Tailed Priests:	 3,750

Crested 'newts are herbivores that prefer leaves. Hence a given patch of land can support more crested 'newts than Orlanthi.

Beaked 'newts are carnivores and must support themselves by hunting. They are not restricted to the local environs around Dragon's Eye but can travel by the Dragonewt Roads to remote places (although it's a long walk back). Hence they have a greater hunting space available to them than does an Orlanthi hunter operating from the clan tula.

Tailed Priests are omnivores and gormets but I suppose they can call upon the labour of the 'newts beneath them to provide them what they want.