Beast People

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:06:22 +1200

Master Gollum:

>And question ever ask me is who are Beast People's
>breeds? I know centaure, satire, (harpies?), minotaure, swan maidens of
>Kerofinela, and the others? Are mourocant and babouins Beast People? And
>ducks?

Beast People are properly those creatures which have elements of man and beast combined. For example, centaurs are part of the beast people because they have an upper human part and a lower horse part. Morokanth and Baboons do not have human parts and so they are not beast people.

Ducks could be considered Beast People but are not because, I suppose, even brutish beast people dislike them. Chaotic creatures like broos and harpies are not considered to be beast people by anyone.

There's several other mostly obscure types of beast people, such as the Elurae fox-women and the Rascullu (Rhino centaurs) of the Pamaltelean veldt.

>They live mixed? Or you can find a tribe of minotaures or satires?

They live among their own kind but in (sometimes bloody) harmony with neighbouring types of beastpeople.

>Ninfes and spirits of lands are members of their society?

I don't think so. Rather the Beast People worship them in the same way as the Orlanthi do. KoS has Ironhoof using some rituals with Orlanthi names.

>If they are
>the result of experiments of EWF, what was theirs purpose?

	The Dragon Pass centaurs originated when the Empire of
	the Wyrm Friends performed grotesque medical experiments
	grafting parts of creatures which were believed to be
	necessary to repopulate the mythic age sought by the
	empire.
		Elder Races Book p80.

The Luatha apparently caused the formation of some centaurs when they sank Seshnela.

>Someone know pamaltelan links?

Believed to be the result of the Six-legged Empire/Duchy of Kolar.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #475