Dragonewt Mysticism

From: Julian Lord <julianlord_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:29:08 +0100 (CET)

Benedict Adamson :

> Dragonewts (IIRC) try to reduce
> their 'entanglements' with the world.
> I supose having to eat would be one, so perhaps the
> more spiritually advanced Dragonewts don't eat at
> all, or eat very little.

Hmmm ...

Personally, I'm coming to believe something a little different about dragonewt mysticism.

I think that instead, dragonewts seek to reduce the entanglements of the world with them, if that makes any sense (?).

That is, their Denial powers would be closely linked with their Devouring abilities : Dragonewts seek to distance themselves from the World by Eating it all up. As they proceed in their mystic development, they appear (from an unenlightened POV) to become larger and more powerful (but this is merely a manifest side-effect of a deeper mystical 'Truth'), and their Devouring abilities increase on the same scale, until they finally start turning into Dragons (luckily for other Gloranthans, their increased detachment from Glorantha is manifest as longer and longer sleep periods AKA Mystic Trances).

Of course, there's some sort of
difficulty/self-contradiction here ;
but that is how some dragonewts become renegades ; by absorbing the manifest nature of their foods (as Nourishment) without succeeding in Denying them (instead, they absorb the forces of a depraved material Nature). But hey, nobody ever said that it's easy to destroy the Universe !!

> Or perhaps, as Dragonewts are weird, the
> relationship between what and how much they eat and
> how well nourished they are is unusual.

From this point of view, seeking 'Nourishment' is just another spiritual failing, and a bit brontosaurish IIRC (the Brontosaur is Manifest Reality, and shows the obvious failure of the dragonewt to master Devouring and manifest Destruction ; the dragonewt 'eats' instead, and gains 'Nourishment' from the 'foodstuffs'. Its bloated and monstrous body manifests the corruption of its own inner nature).

Another obvious conclusion is that dragonewt shit is Highly Embarrassing Evidence of one's Spiritual Failings, and dragonewts will always attempt to Devour their own excrements, if they are worthy enough (this is always a bit dangerous, spiritually) ; otherwise, they must offer it to their Elders, for more skillful consumption of this matter.

Bon appetit !!

Julian Lord

Do You Yahoo!?
Achetez, vendez! _at_ votre prix! Sur http://encheres.yahoo.fr