TENTACLES: News Post 3

From: Fabian <fabian.kuechler_at_medien.uni-weimar.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:45:44 +0100

TENTACLES NEWS POST
Volume 1, Number 3, March 20th, 2000

~~ S L U R P F o l k s ! ~~

Welcome to the Tentacles News Post March, featuring all the latest Tentacles news and views. Feel free to forward this newsletter to friends, allies and sworn enemy’s. If you do not want to receive this newsletter or have a new email address please send a notification to: fabian.kuechler_at_medien.uni-weimar.de

~ N e w s & G o s s i p ~

Tentacles Millennium has all engines under steam and already had a collusion with a nasty fireberg. Our Tentacle of Honour, Sandy Petersen, send us this note:

>Incredibly bad news

>It turns out that I need to undergo foot surgery this summer, and thus will not be fit to travel
>to Germany. This sucks major league and I am VERY disappointed. I hope maybe to get >overseas next year? Or the year after? Ah well, good luck with Tentacles!

>Sandy P.

Gosh, we are disappointed as well! You never know which horrors lash at you running a Tentacles Con.

~ T e n t a c l e d G u e s t s ~

R o b e r t s o n, Roderick
Hero Wars Line Editor and *official* Glorantha Expert, is attending. He is, according to Greg Stafford, *the second most informed guy about Hero Wars*. Roderick will introduce the new game, host panels, teach GM's and present a bunch of happy scenarios for Hero Wars. He is also editing for the Pendragon RPG and will be happy to talk about Arthurian Knights and their handicrafts.

W h i t a k e r, Lawrence
A nice man and *Chaosium's Elric! Guy*, is coming again. Lawrence will be happy to whaffel about Elric!, Hawkmoon and the Unknown East and plays a leading character in our Elric! freeform. There will also be a Elric! Tournament again.

B r o o k e, Nick
A long time friend and guest of our Convention, is attending as well. Nick will enlighten us with is radiant presence, entertain us with his exquisite Orate skill and will run Chris Gidlow's Tarsh Wars for us.

We are currently spending a lot of Power (TM) in summoning other tentacled guests as well.

~ H o r r o r s a l i v e a n d f r e e f o r m i n g ~

Here is our pride and joy! Tentacles will feature a hell lot of small freeform games. The sign up for the listed games will take place at the convention! We will report about clashes in the programme at the end of April. There will probably be a small charge for the games, which payable on the spot, to cover production costs.

O r k a l s B u l l
written by Neil Robinson

A lusty tale of political strife in an isolated barbarian clan. With the death of Venharl the Powerful and the election of Penorri Venharl’s-Son, it seemed that peace had come to the Vostangi at last. But then Vargast, head of the Varing family, had his prize Bull stolen, while Orkal, a client of Orlalont of the Orlings, has a new Bull he claims to have bought down in Clearwine. Will the bloodfeud destroy the clan?

16 Players / Glorantha

O p e r a t i o n S p a n n e r
written by Dan Barker and Bazz Hoftyzer

Progress report on work-shift 320978.5736-A A secluded group of true, pure of heart and mind Mostali, intent to repair the World-Machine.They are on strict-deadlines, as all the signs say that something bad is brewing for Mostali-kind.Everything would be operational if it wasn't for the arrival of some Mostali at their island-retreat.

Why are they there? Are they true Mostali? Or are they polluted by the world of Grower? If so can they be brought back to the One-True Way?

20 Players / Glorantha

T a r s h W a r s
written by Chris Gidlow

War-drums are beating along the Bush Range. On the hill-tops blaze the fires of the Tars Gor, summoning the clans to wash their axes in the blood of enemies. The natives are restless, and one thing alone stands between civilisation and scalp-taking savagery. A thin red line, a line glimmering with Silver, Bronze and Steel: the Lunar Army!

Join the serried ranks! Lead the army of the Great Red Queen to the very foothills of Wintertop! Defend the Pax Lunara in a last-ditch struggle, or plant the Red Vexillum in the smoking ruins of a Tarsh encampment! Live or die, the tales of your exploits will stir the Empire!

13 Players / Glorantha

S a c k o f I m r r y r
written by Pummel

Become a member of the final conference planning the"Sack of Imrryr". The most important diplomats and warriors of the 6 nations will take part and meet in the privacy at the villa of Filkhars richest Sea-Food producer. They will discuss the last discrepancies between them. Alliance and intrigue, discussion and duel, love and hatred, all of this expect the players and much more. Be there as rivals become allies, enemies turn into friends and start the most important event in the history of the Young Kingdoms.

21 Players / Elric!

T h o s e W h o F a l t e r a n d T h o s e W h o F a l l written by Anja Bleicher and Thorsten Grube

Information available soon. There is a pre registration for this event which will start at the 1st May 2000.

30 Players / Call of Cthulhu

~ H e r o W a r s & J u s t M o r e G a m e s ~

Is our credo this year. We will have less panels and more space for games. Tentacles will be proud to be the first Glorantha Convention to welcome the arrival of Hero Wars on the mundane plane. We do our best to suck every drop of blood and support out of Issaries Inc. for scenarios, tournament games, gifts and prices. We will even have a small release party for Hero Wars!
So sign up, meet fellow gamers and play the game! Its is going to be an exciting start.

There will be also a Elric! Tournament as well as numerous games for Call of Cthulhu. We invite everybody to bring his/her home made collection of Glorantha Board and Card Games and inflatable toys for our wet wild Trollball Show. No problem if you want to run your own games.

Tentacles features again: the famous castle above the rhine river, good weather, special effects, good cheap beer, 2 filling meals a day, a dry comfortable bed, computer network gaming, the Infoshrine our efficient Convention plant for information, alka selzer & asprin and us crazy pals from the Chaos Society Germany as well as a bag of surprises.

~ T i m i n g & C o s t s ~

Tentacles Millennium will take place at castle Stahleck in Bacharach, from Friday the 9th to Monday the 12th June 2000. The Convention will open programme Friday evening around 19.00 and end around 11.00 on Monday.

The price for 3 nights at the Convention, including breakfast and dinner, is 72 EUR! A common beer at the Con cost around 2 DM which is less than 1 EUR, 1 Dollar or 1/2 British Pound (shameless plug of course). Donations either in games or money are welcome.

~ A u c t i o n ~

Our last auction had to few bidders, to few items and was scheduled at a bad time in the afternoon. Heck, it sounds like we killed this event. But wait! We will try to reanimate. The auction will take place at nice, warm spot at Sunday night. Come along to help and bring old, exotic and precious games, magazines, books etc. for Glorantha, RQ, CoC, Elric!, Pendragon and Schund you would like to turn into cash. The Convention is happy about all the support it can get that helps to hold on to the low membership rates.

~ I f y o u a r e c o m i n g f r o m G r e a t B r i t a i n ~

If you like to fly in from Great Britain check out the Ryan Air Airline (www.ryanair.com).
They are flying at very cheap airfares from London Stansted and other places in GB to the Airport Hahn, Germany which is about 20 minutes (!) from the castle Stahleck. You need to use a parachute to get closer to the Convention out of the sky!

~ I f y o u a r e c o m i n g f r o m J a p a n ~

If you are coming from Japan fly to Frankfurt Main Airport. It is located close to the castle and transport to Bacharach is not to difficult and takes around 1 hour. We may even pick you up on the way!

~ L a n g u a g e B a r r i e r ~

Well, there is none as long as you speak and/or understand English. International guests are very welcome!

~ S i g n u p ~

You can sign up for Tentacles online at: www.uni-weimar.de/~kuechle1/regis.htm

Membership will close at the 30th April 2000.

~ U s e f u l W e b s i t e s ~

The official Tentacles Convention site:
www.uni-weimar.de/~kuechle1/venue.htm
where you can find information, pictures of the castle

and:
www.uni-weimar.de/~kuechle1/regis.htm
to sign up for Tentacles online.

Go to:
www.members.tripod.de/SnS/Conpics.htm
the official website of the German RQ-Gesellschaft and have a look a some pictures of the last Tentacles Convention.

Go to:
www.ryanair.com
to find out about cheap airfares from GB to Germany (Hahn Airport see above)

Deutsche Bahn:
www.deutschebahn.de
here you can find information on how to get o Bacharach by train.

Fabian Kuechler
- --
~~TENTACLES Convention~~
fabian.kuechler_at_medien.uni-weimar.de

We want YOU for - TENTACLES Millennium!
9th-12th June 2000; Castle Stahleck, Germany

Visit our weblair at:
www.uni-weimar.de/~kuechle1/next.htm