Vendref and Uz Mysticism

From: Lowell A Francis <edige_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:21:14 -0500

Joerg Baumgartner writes re: Vendref

> From their location, a lot of them may have come from Esrolia which
isn't
> exactly known for forceful behavior. Apart from that, the Grazers
> share the same basic culture as the Char-un, and while they may be
milder,
> this still doesn't mean they are gentle towards groundlings.
>
> Apart from that, they do rebel, and do get crushed when they do.
> Sometimes Vendref make the escape into Heortling lands, in which case
they
> have to be lucky to avoid thralldom. (See KoDP).

And at least in my campaign I've used this as a potential source of tension. Given that my group plays the dreaded Freakish Band of Adventurers (tm), I've been trying to build background tensions for future encounters for the Grazelander members of the group. Certainly such escapes can be exploited either for a short-term scenario or a set of longer tensions if the PC's tend to be affiliated with a particular locale.

Andreas Gustafsson writes re: Mystic Uzdom

> While trying to keep this pretty way of living like a mystic I'm
beginning to
> think along the lines of introducing some Uz mystics IMG. Have anyone
any
> thoughts about Uz as mystics? (I've just recently bought Trollpak and
haven't
> really read it yet...)

My use of Uz mystics probably runs contrary to standard doctrine because it relocates some concepts (from the Kralori to elsewhere). I've used the Black Sun (with heavy changes) as both a mystic and a trickster figure. As a trollish trickster Black Sun is significantly darker and more dangerous. I liked the idea of Black Sun as an "other" to Yelm and the solar pantheon in general. That concept of the "other" and revelation through confrontation of that aspect seems like a good basis for mysticism which would be understandable and presentable to PC's in the course of a game. That's how I reworked it.

Lowell A. Francis

YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #480