The Second Light of Lhankor Mhy

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_tin.it>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:20:06 +0100

        One aspect of HW that I like a lot is that it encourages you to write. This is an essay about a secret society a player of mine made up for his character and which I have developed.

        I'm eager to be criticized (constructively, I hope)! ;)

	Cheers,
	A hoping Alex.

All Hail the Emperor's Word!

THE SECOND LIGHT OF LHANKOR MHY         The First Light of Lhankor Mhy was the Light of Knowledge, which he quested for when he went in the Underworld during the Lightbringer Quest. The members of this secret (and heretical) society claim that the Second Light is the Light of Research. Irripi Ontor discovered it and used it to re-create the Red Goddess. The power of researching new knowledge is one of the deepest secrets of the Irripi Ontor's cult and one taught only to the highest initiates.

        On the contrary, Lhankor Mhy's role forbids Gray Sages to invent new knowledge. To recover what has been lost, yes. To collect, collate and archive, yes, but not to discover. His initiates and devotees must learn by heart their people's traditions, write them down, and lose them in their huge libraries so that they must be recovered again. They are Knowing Companions, but they never propose new ways of doing things.

        The members of the Second Light believe instead that, if the cult is to survive, they must harness this power and use it against Irripi Ontor. But since they have been delayed far too long by cult restrictions, they are trying to catch-up exploring areas where even the most open minded Lunars are cautious to go. They have begun to dabble in Sorcery and experimenting with Chaos.

        It goes without saying that the cult's hierarchies try to oppose the Second Light, cutting off its members from important positions for example. But they are worried for it seems that the God keeps them in his grace, and many members are Gray Sages in excellent standing. It is rumored that Salonar Tamaskil, of Drastic Resolution's fame, was (is?) a member, as the Swenstown Knowledge Temple High Priest.

					May the Emperor's Word always be my Wish,
											A. L.