Dragonewts

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:16:51 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>However, Sandy proposed that they have five sexes, one for each stage
>(including dragonet), and are thus able to breed. If so, I wonder which
>stage is capable of laying the egg large enough to hatch a warrior
>dragonewt.

Given that "any dinosaur could curl up and weave a magic egg around itself, later hatching into a flying pteranodon" (Dragon Pass rulebook p19), I don't think the egg is a product of normal reproductive processess but rather a seperate magical rite.

>Which leads me to: what are dragonewt eggs like?

Leathery and unchanging according to RQ3.

>>The Ralian 'newts have no inhuman king so it is difficult to see how
>>they might reproduce. I assume it's related to their former human
>>ancestry (they were originally reptile hsunchen) and so captive
>>humans might be necessary for successful reproduction (even if
>>only as an unwilling host).

>The Ralian 'newts were immigrants from Saird, 2nd Council mercenaries
>paid in land.

So where are the Reptile Hsunchen today?

>While it is possible that some of the reptile Hsunchen got
>assimilated, Broken Council suggests that the Ralian reptile Hsunchen
>stepped in for the 'newts when the Council broke apart.

Besides noting that it was Lords of terror that said that, how is this meant to contradict my statement about the origin of the ralian 'newts? They could have easily stepped in by turning themselves into 'newts.

>As for the necessary fifth sex - maybe a true dragon might replace a
>dragonet in this function?

Given that they are barbarians (which may or may not be the same thing as outlaws), I suspect that they would have less contact with true dragons than those in Dragon Pass.