Magical redundancy

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:04:28 -0500 (EST)

When I refer to "magical redundancy", I'm talking about something similar to an optional rule that appears in GURPS Martial Arts: Characters who study more than one "style" can be required to learn the same skill each time for a style. That is the "Karate" skill used in Okinawan Karate would have to be learned separately from the "Karate" skill used in Savate. (Note that in GURPS, the "Karate" skill really means "scientific punching and kicking without anything fancy", not actually "Karate. Martial Arts "styles" are skill clusters that include fancier moves.)

This is, of course, unrealistic in that it ignores the fact that there will be some overlap, but it is meant to model the fact that there is also some need for "re-learning" concepts and models when adopting different overall approaches.

The masters then coalesce these into a syncretic style.