Conversions (was Garhound)

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:58:08 -0500

> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:25:23 +1000
> From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
> Subject: HW visits the Sun Dome?
>
> G'day all,
>
> ______________________
> HW visits the Sun Dome
>
> Only a few digests ago I said:
> >I think you'll be waiting a very long time before HW visits the Sun Dome
> >temple.
>
> and then Tim Ellis suggested:
>
> >One of the things I keep meaning to do is dig out "The Garhound Contest"
> >and re-examine it as a Hero Wars Scenario - It is some time since I ran
> >it, and I may be fooling myself with the thought that it is all about
> >"competitions" but I think it would make quite a passable introductory
> >scenario. Has anyone else already done this?
>
> By Jove, I think you're right! IMO he Garhound Contest (or something like
> it) would make a fine opening scenario for HW, especially for beginners,
> giving players the opportunity to see various skills and game mechanics in
> action, but with an underlying mythical background so the players don't
> just feel they're rolling dice... ...er, do you actually roll dice in HW?
> This shows how much I know about the new game, so if anyone is to
> convert/rewrite the Garhound Scenario sometime soon, it ain't gonna be me!
> Another suggestion for an intro HW scenario could be my MGF adventure "Rune
> Metal Jacket", which features regimental games.
>
> Cheers,
>
> MOB

It works very, very well! I have been using the 'guts' of the contest as a fast and dirty introduction adventure. I'm not too keen on the Pavis area and doing my demo and instructional work in the Sartar, where its less stinky.

I was using some conversions but I was hesitant to write them up here as one should never steal thunder unless its a HeroQuest.

Currently, I'm converting Rainbow Mounds over for HW. Another generation of players is subjected to the tender mercies of WhiteEye and Slud and the gang.

Jeff