Mind Control "Magic"

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:42:27 -0800

Cian Dorr:
>I can imagine nothing more alien to my modern Western mind than the
>psychology of a person who would not be concerned to learn that their
>feelings and actions were under the direct influence of the magic of
>others.

But that's Exactly what Advertising is in the RW... Gloranthans are no more likely to avoid an Issaries trader with "mind control magic" than Americans are to avoid TV with commercials. Some will care, but the vast majority of folks will consider them Kooks at the very least. I can't see any difference between buying Nike's to "be like Mike" and deciding to pay weregeld because of a successful HeroQuest. Gloranthans know that magic works, and deal with it. Just like we deal with Madison Avenue.

danm