Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #496

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_celtic-webs.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:38:18 -0800

- --------------A6B78FD78F8276A4B5BE4AA5

The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:25:14 -0500
> From: Cian Dorr <ciandorr_at_Princeton.EDU>
> Subject: Making peoples' minds up with magic
>
> way. My sworn enemy does an 'Issaries the Conciliator' heroquest, and
> suddenly I am willing to forget my determination to revenge his latest
> outrage; I turn up at his doorstep bearing gifts and asking to end the
> feud. How strange! If I found out that my change of heart was not after
> all due to myself, but rather to my enemy's trip to the God Plane, I must
> say I would be enraged, and would immediately resume the feud with
> redoubled ferocity. And if I didn't, those who knew me would have to
> conclude that I was no longer myself, but had been taken over like a
> puppet; if they were wise, they would lock me up and continue the feud,

I think that this varies from game to game but I think that any quest like that would have to pull you into the God Plane as well. Your enemy goes on a quest to get Issarries to mediate your feud and Issaries puts out a call for you to join. You can resist and ignore the attempted mediation or you can go along on the quest and accept Issaries' mediation. I do not think that the quest would work if you were not there or if you went and refused to accept the terms.

> ''Runequest', from what I remember, is compatible my image of a world in

> which magic to affect peoples' minds is a rare thing, whose targets would
> certainly not be happy about it. On the other hand, what I have seen of
> 'Hero Quest' tends to go the other way: the devotees of trader gods run
> around performing the feats 'Convince buyer' and 'Convince seller', the
> devotees of gods having to do with leadership have feats for getting their
> way in negotiations, and so on.

I view "convince buyer" and other feats of like ilk to be more of enhancing your own charisma and personality than affecting the target's mind. If you are a leader and you use your leadership magic then your voice drops and gets more commanding. You look more noble and more respectable.

Wesley Quadros
Cruise Director
Celtic Webs Internet Publishing

www.celtic-webs.com
wquadros_at_celtic-webs.com

"Voyage Upon the Oceans of the Mind"

begin:vcard
n:Quadros;Wesley
tel;home:(604) 953-0211
x-mozilla-html:FALSE

url:www.celtic-webs.com
org:Celtic-Webs Internet Publishing
adr:;;213-15220 Guildford Dr;Surrey;BC;V3R0X7;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:wquadros_at_celtic-webs.com title:Cruise Director
fn:Wesley Quadros
end:vcard