Re : Making peoples' minds up with magic

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_ioxy.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:49:24 -0600

An interesting question, is it reasonable to believe that the Heortlings of Sartar would resent anyone using theistic means to settle a feud or establish a trade route, given that the result of the theistic worship is to affect the behavior of someone who wasn't part of the worship service? Sure, I suppose it's one excuse that ring members might use if they are opposed to a reconciliation, or on the other side of things, to the declaration of a new feud. But I also suspect that it is a rather overwrought argument. For instance, does Cian refuse to buy any product that is advertised, since it is apparent that the manufacturer of the product uses advertising to try to sway his decision to buy? Do most women refuse to talk to guys who say something funny, knowing as they do that guys practice saying funny things so they can favorably impress women? Do most men refuse to talk to women who wear makeup, knowing that the makeup presents an enhanced vision of reality intended to favorably influence the psychology of viewing men? I'm certain that sometimes people do react this way. I'm also certain that most people realize that other people are out for their own selfish reasons, and the only way to tell whether or not a deal is a good deal is to answer the question, "do we both get what we want?" in the affirmative.

Nobody can make you do anything. If it's a fair deal, you can choose to let yourself be persuaded to take it.

Cheers,
Loren