Western kingship

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:21:41 +1200

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener:

>Someone mentioned that Nick Brooke's examples of Western Heroquesting
>as modeled by Arthurian Romances had been gregged. Is this true?

It was proposed as an example of how a knight might heroquest and still is true of Westerners questing in foreign territories (i.e. Hrestol against the Pendali, Meriatan through the Doors of Iron, Fraltigern and the Gate of Banir, Ethilrist and Hell etc) but it is not true of the Westerners questing within their own traditions (learning spells, outer atomic exploration and so forth).

>Let's say you were an aspiring Sorcerer and meddler. You didn't like the
>oppressive polices of King Guillarm because he destroyed your father
>tribe/clan/family/etc.

>How would you go about replacing him?

You don't. He is still your lawful king, anointed by the Ecclesiarch and crowned in the full view of the Peers of the Realm. This Sainted Monarch wields the lawful powers of governance for the benefit of the Malkioni as a whole As such, he is _your_ king and deserves your loyalty, obedience _and_ love. To defy him is to defy God and you shall most assuredly pay with the damnable loss of Solace and Joy.

You complain that the King's policies have harmed you. What of it? His commands are lawful and there are courts that can judge just complaints committed by the wrongs of his servants. And even if he was imperfect, as some kings have been, God has not made you to be a rebel. When Froalar exiled Hrestol, even though Hrestol was blameless, Hrestol submitted meekly to his brother's decrees for Froalar acted for the Kingdom, which is far above any brotherly love.

You claim to be a sorcerer. Why do you then seek to rule? God brought you into this world to observe the marvels of his creation. By seeking to change your allotted path in life, you think yourself above God and will most assuredly be damned for it.

Or perhaps you are one of those fools who are blind to God's humanity? Then know this: your blindness makes you unfit to rule.

You might ask about the Nobles who have fought against the King yet have avoided censure by the Ecclesiarch. They too wield lawful governance over many of us and it is not for us to question both their consciences and judgements. God has allowed them to assist the King in his rule. Sometimes the nobles and the king might have a dispute. This is a sad consequence of the imperfect nature of our cosmos. The nobles are obliged by God to settle their disputes with whatever means. Normally this is dealt with peacefully but sadly some disputes are so protracted and bitter that God's judgement must be found through the ritual of battle whereupon he rewards the righteous with victory.

>One way would be to assert that the 16 year old kid you have
>been fostering is the direct descendent of The Emperor of
>ancient Seshnela, and, as such, has the right to the throne
>the current King can't match.

Western Kingship (in both glorantha and the real world) does not work like this. His royal status and authority is unaffected by the appearance of a pretender to the throne. The best way to unleash such people is during the interregnum.

>Then discover the rites necessary make an Emperor. Get all the
>regalia, or makes copies which fulfill the same purposes as
>the original.

Guess who has them?