Re: HQ with RW examples

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:55:23 EDT

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener:

<< Someone mentioned that Nick Brooke's examples of Western Heroquesting as
 modelled by Arthurian Romances had been gregged. Is this true?>>

     Greg's current vision of the realm through which Malkioni heroquest is incompatible with Nick's, in that he sees this place as flat, featureless, and almost totally devoid of living inhabitants (the odd abstract concept may wander past, and its these the Malkioni 'heroquester' tries to control). However, he didn't actually say (well, not to me) that Nick's examples where inherently wrong and I see no reason to assume that he can't be convinced that at least *some* cultures heroquest in the manner Nick describes. I, for one, certainly hope Nick's evocative concept doesn't get ditched.

<< Let's say you were an aspiring Sorcerer and meddler. You didn't like the
oppressive polices of King Guillarm because he destroyed your father tribe/clan/family/etc. How would you go about replacing him? One way would be to assert that the 16 year old kid you have been fostering is the direct descendent of The Emperor of ancient Seshnela, and, as such, has the right to the throne the current King can't match. What would you do to make the claimed sovereignty real?>>

     The traditional sorcerous way to do it (which IMG means just the Zzaburi, but which Greg seems to want to apply rather more widely) would involve getting some kind of control over the Mastery rune (or an aspect of it), and any others which were helpful, perhaps by using the Truth rune to seek out facts about the claimant's ancestry. Which is somewhat flat and lacking in atmosphere, but that's the Zzaburi for you. Of course, once you've done that, you would still have to do most of the other things you mentioned in your post, and that's where most of the game fun would come from.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #512