Syranthir's dualism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 20:03:55 +1200

Nick Brooke:

ML >> The dualism of the Carmanian faith is [...] a product of their integration
> > of Pelandan and Spolite culture into their own as well as a rejection of
> > the Malkioni "god learnerish" faith they escaped from in their long
> journey.

>I would merely add the obvious impact of "Dark" Stygian/Arkati and "Light"
>Talorian influences on the Malkionism of early Second Age Fronela. This is,
>I believe, where a lot of the Carmanian Duality is rooted. They see Nysalor
>as a Bright Shining Lie, and Arkat as a Dark Truth.

I don't think that Arkat has a meaningful role within the Loskalmi (and Carmanian) memories of their war against Gbaji. They remember Talor as being the hero who saved them from that Great Evil and his association with Arkat was only passing at best.

Talor was a devout Malkioni as his famous laughter was actually an interpretation of Hrestol's Joy (the God Learners couldn't understand this and so thought him mad).

>Of course, there is plenty of later accretion (including direct lifts from
>Dara Happan cosmology, of course). But IMO Syranthir was a Dualist (of some
>kind) long before his army arrived in Pelanda and fought the Spolites.

IMO his dualism was a reaction to the intense philosophical debates that had ravaged Loskalm since God Learner missionaries introduced their revelations there in the past century. Syranthir would have been one of those conservatives affronted by the God Learner doctrines and saw it as an invention of the Devil. Dualism followed when the forces of darkness started winning...