Heroquest Outcomes

From: Hughes, John (NAT) <"Hughes,>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:58:31 +1000

Heys folks

A few short sharp shocks:

DEATH IN HELL David Weihe, answering Andrew Barton

>> Does it make a difference if you're in Hell?

>Certainly, if you are in a section of Hell that is before (in Quasi-Time
>terms) the discovery of Death. In that case, Humakti would lose the
>ability to use their Undead magics, but they also cannot run into any
>to use them against.

What would prevent you from discovering Death there, the same way that Humakt did?

THEDQUEST Guy Jobbins:

>I too have been thinking about Andrew Larson's Thedquest. If I, your
>average Orlanthi Geezer, was approached by a Broo claiming to have been
>raped, demanding vengence/justice, and I twigged it was on a heroquest of
>Thed, I'd off the broo - no hesitation.

A broo who was raped by your brother. Not so common, at least in my clan. And a broo who came to you after deliberate sacrifice and ritual spend on calling her to begin the quest. And a quest ending with Orlanth declaring the broo an outlaw, and therefore liable for death on sight.

I think Orlanthi would recreate the whole myth, not just the first part. The myth explains why broo should be killed on sight, not why you grant them justice. Orlanth don't recreate the death of Yelm too often (only in the Great Combat at Sacred Time), but they do use the Lightbringer Quest for putting all sorts of things back together. Final outcome, not just stage one outcome.

>So just kill the broo.

My feeling too.

>Am I thinking right about this, or instead of being an Average Orlanthi
>Geezer am I playing an Uroxi, or even a 21st century earthling? Is the
>difference in reaction possibly a distinction between an Average Orlanthi
>Geezer, and an Orlanthi Hero In The Making?

There may be times when your godtalkers want to recreate stage one for some bizzare purpose. But for me at least, I'd agree that you'd kill the broo "all" the time.

Even for a hero, the quest is about the effects of [KOS quote] "too much justice". The myth ends with the broo vanquished. While having a healthy respect for alternative tellings and outcomes, I think the outcome is pretty clear from this perspective.

ALKOTH AND OTHER CITIES TO DIE FOR Just have to share this. I really enjoyed the recent thread on Alkoth and Shargash, and it got me thinking about cities where Gloranthans might go to die. Die Happy. Die content. I found a wonderful article on the structure and mythology of the Indian sacred city of Benares, or Banaras (also a city of joyful death), which really inspired me. I can't use it directly in my present campaign, but wondered if others could use it or suggest a suitable Gloranthan analogue.

The article, "Circuits, Death And Sacred Fiction: The City Of Banaras" by Mahesh Senagala, is one the CTHEORY web site at

http://www.ctheory.com/e84.html

Cheers

John