Gorgorma

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:43:18 -0500

        What function do Gorgormi play in society? Gods of Glorantha describes the goddess as 'the Defender' and as someone worshipped when peasants are oppressed. But her rune magic seems largely devoted to avenging rape, which implies that she's specifically Dendara's defender. But as an earth goddess, Dendara is already protected by Babeester Gor. So what distinguishes Gorgorma from Babs? Why would anyone worship Gorgorma, when Babs offers more impressive magics?

        One thing that comes to mind is that Gorgorma seems to be the Dark Mother,(a la Durga and other bloody goddesses) while Dendara is the Good Mother. But this only really offers a point of distinction from Babs if we assume that Babs is non-fertile. Now, that's my take on her, but the majority of the list seem to dislike that view of Babs.

        What is the significance of the Shadow Rune that Gorgorma holds? It might suggest that she's Dendara's dark side, but is that all?

Andrew E. Larsen