Gorgorma

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:02:55 +1200

Andrew Larsen:

> What function do Gorgormi play in society? Gods of Glorantha
>describes the goddess as 'the Defender' and as someone worshipped when
>peasants are oppressed. But her rune magic seems largely devoted to
>avenging rape, which implies that she's specifically Dendara's defender.

Only one spell actually prevents rape. I don't consider Berserker, Absorption, Shield, Waste Loins, Create Ghost and her ability to command Bears, Dogs, Fear spirits, gnomes and pain spirits to be useless to the oppressed peasant (although Monster Man now seems to be their cult of choice and Gorgorma more restricted in scope).

>But as an earth goddess, Dendara is already protected by Babeester Gor.

Babeester Gor is an Orlanthi Goddess while Dendara is in the Pelorian pantheon, which does not include Babeester Gor. The worship of Babeester is not universal across Genertela.

>What is the significance of the Shadow Rune that Gorgorma holds?
>It might suggest that she's Dendara's dark side, but is that all?

What else do you have in mind?