Re: Lunar army effectiveness

From: Charles MIALARET <Charles.Mialaret_at_steria.fr>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:59:15 +0200

Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.
- --------------8A4A4D5DFD7712C1434173BE

Andreas Mueller Wrote:

>Sorry to meddle in this thread. I'm not quite sure, why the Lunar army
>should be superior.
>They are not like the roman army at all, because of their use of
>scimitars.

Well I don't really agree with you there. I think Lunar have one very important
point in common with the Roman: They have a _regular_ army with what it implies:
ability to work in formations, coordination of formations (even called Regiments!),
training, logistics, military science and history, I imagine too that they have a pioneer corp etc.

>The use of scimitars would result in a less dense packed
>formation (otherwise one would hit his neighbour or break up the
>formation to have more space) and so one of the major advantages of
>spearformations, density, would be lost.

AFAIK, there are lots of variety in the Lunar army, not only scimitar troops.
Further more the spanish tercio sounded the end of the High middle age/renaissance
Pike formation with a mixure of weapon among which the short sword and round
buckler.

Charles

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mialaret Charles
n:              Charles;Mialaret

email;internet: charles.mialaret_at_steria.fr x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard