Arrolian History

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 22:35:17 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:
Me>> Erigia is not a civilized land and Janubia/Arrolia is so sparsely

>> populated that it lacks the population to prevent the Rathori from
>> making a career as raiders.

>That's post-Ban Janubia. Pre-Ban Janubia did welcome settlers, but
>hardly was uninhabited - I find the situation very similar to the German
>Holy Roman Empire's east colonisation into Slavic territory, with the
>Rathori quite similar to Slavic or Baltic tribes made landless by German
>settlers.

Before the Arrolian settlements and after the fall of the Loskalmi Empire, it seems to me that there was only one sizable settlement on the Upper Janubian Valley - Galastar.

Eastpoint IMO was probably a ghost town at this time given that it's wholly lunarized now whereas one would normally expect the original inhabitants to still be around maintaining their old ways alongside the lunars.

Southbank was a fresh settlement and IMO there is a genuine mystery in the region why nobody built a town there before.

Riverjoin became populous only as a result of refugees caused by strife in Eastpoint and perhaps Galastar.

Given the weak nature of the Arrolians and Galastar at the time of the settlements (i.e Sheng Seleris), I don't think they were powerful enough to make the Rathori leave.

>To many Rathori, they raided into densely populated Junora or Janubia
>just two or twelve long sleeps ago. Much of their culture predates the
>Ban and continues where Snodal left Loskalm just barely saved from their
>invasions. Even the First Awakeners have had just one post-Ban
>generation.

If this is a reference to Black Hralf, then Black Hralf also fought against the Rathori and Fral Angor in particular. Given that he had the support of Loskalmi Rebels in some of his wars (after Snodal kills Black Hralf, we are told that "The barbarians fled and the rebels were hanged", GB p14), his motivations seems to be a lot more complex character than merely a barbarian warlord (and I don't believe a Hsunchen would consider becoming Son of the Devil to be meaningful).

If it's Harrek, then Harrek was an outcast and recruited his barbarian army further west. Some Rathori might have participated but there would also have been Telmori, Mammoth-people, Uncolings, Dilian swamp dwellers etc.