longbow skirmishers

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:42:57 +0200

Greetings Gloranthans!

>> Why not? It is no more or less bulky than a stout spear (lighter, but
>> then you carry along a quiver, too).

>It's a lot less bulky, actually, even considering the quiver IMO, when
>thinking of some of the real war spears I've seen. But the longbow was used
>as a hit & run weapon to some degree by the Welsh.
>...But I just have the hardest time imagining skirmishing with a longbow.
>...But at a visceral level, I'm inclined to agree that the longbow isn't a
skirmish >weapon. The shortbow yes - a couple hundred years of Amerind history proves >that. But the longbow? I dunno...

Many people seem to have forgotten the old Robin Hood film. It is just a film, but it sure gave the impression that those guys skirmished very well with their longbows.
I don't think the weapon is the deciding factor when considering who makes good skirmishers.

Daniel