Fortifications in Glorantha

From: Andreas Mueller <mueller_at_faw.uni-ulm.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:45:57 +0200

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_necadon.com>
> Yes, however the cost of constructing and maintaining fortifications - even
> a palisade wall - was prohibitive and thus made them uncommon in the real
> world until the relative wealthiness of the middle ages. I would consider
> the raided-peoples economic levels to be at the more subsistence-level "Dark
> Ages" category, where all they could afford from their
> slightly-better-than-subsistence-level economy would be the occasional motte
> & bailey style structure.
>
> For that matter, fortifications appear to be far, far rarer in Glorantha
> than in the RW, so this would argue against their common use even further.
> So yes, raided people would wish they had walls, but it would be the rare
> community indeed that would have them.

I can't agree for several reasons:
1. Romans made fortifications on the spot during marches (AFAIK 1.5 m deep, the excavation piled 1.5 m high and on the top of it 3 m stakes). This perfectly defendable type doesn't cost very much (more so if this clears the surroundings of trees for acres). And due to the resemblance of Lunars and Romans, it is a known type. 2. I know that Celts in Germany and Germans used this fortification type extensively. Don't know about the Celts in other places. 3. Your Clan in KoDP uses this fortification type extensively.

When I spoke of fortifications, I didn't mean brick and mortar (When I read my posting again, it's clear to me why you had this impression - I asked for this misinterpretation with my example of English castles). Sorry if I used the wrong word.
The palisade type would be common and affordable IMO. For raiders as opponents, nothing more is needed.
And to the least, motte and bailey is also sufficient as warding against non-flying raiders.

Many Greetings,

Andreas

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #534