The Role and Authority of the Emperor

From: Jim Groves <jayson_at_tir.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:26:46 -0400

Gian writes:

> Interesting.
> Now, I wonder, what kind of Lunar Government and political/administrative
> structure, the Digesters imagine the Lunar Empire has.
> I mean: the above suggestion by Martin induces me to think that the LE is
> not feudal. It doesn't administrate through his lords, but often against
> their will. Much like the late Roman Empire or the Chinese
> Empire, but much
> differently (or so I recall) from the Byzantine Thema System or from the
> Carolingian Feudalism. Let alone the Plantagenet's rule.
>
> So I ask again: what kind of rulership/administration does each
> one of you
> put behind the couple of words "Lunar Empire"?
>
> My own private vision is that the Emperor's power is more religious and
> personal (=linked to the personal ability of each individual Mask) than
> politically or socially institutionalized. The true absolute lords are the
> Sultans/Satraps (similar to the Califfs or the Dukes of
> Normandy/Burgundy or
> the Daymio: absolute lords with no royal title but whom no king
> was able to
> force giving their loyalty to himself). And you?

    Greetings, after a few months of silent lurking this is my first post ever- <waves to the crowd>.

     I'm not positive I agree totally with Gian, but I do agree at least partially. Specifically, I do not see the Emperor as having much to do with the routine and day to day operations of the Lunar Empire. I agree that his power is definitely more religious and personal. As to what degree his authority extends in political and social spheres of influence- this would be in 'my' Lunar Empire an unknown factor, BECAUSE it would not have faced a significant test (not that anyone knew about as of yet).

     A brief disclaimer- I am a Glorantha initiate, just learning about this world. As I learn more about the Lunar Empire and it's history I may at some point decide that some incident was significant enough for the Emperor to have flexed his muscles and tested his authority, but I remain generalized at the moment.

     The reason for this outlook is that I believe that at some early beginnings of the Empire that the 'role' of the Emperor did include not only spiritual authority but temporal power as well. As the LE grew and it's need for leadership expanded beyond what the Emperor was either capable of AND/OR interested in giving that role changed. However- I would perceive that shift in authority as a subtle change that evolved, and definitely is unstated.

     1.) I definitely see the Emperor as having administrative authority at one time

     2.) I can accept readily that the role has not called for that power to have been exercised in quite some time

     3.) I definitely do not picture there being any stated or defined limits on the Emperor's power

     4.) Ergo I say that the extent of the Emperor's authority over the social and political institutions of the Empire are in a nebulous gray area that no one is quite sure of- to even the Emperor.

     Thus I agree that the day to day administration of the LE may fall to the (possibly jealous) authority of the Sultans/Satraps that Gian refers to, but that's due to the fact that they've been appointed with that power and the Emperor may have allowed his own authority to have become atrophied (albeit unintentionally). Who knows what could happen if the Emperor suddenly decided to take a preternatural interest in domestic affairs? Who would tell him no? Unless it was costly and devastating to one of these 'powerful lords' and Sultan's, I could easily see them giving into the Emperor's wishes- if only to avoid actually risking that confrontation and discovering and/or exposing just who is holding the reigns of power in the Lunar Empire. The moment that confrontation takes place then someone is going to find themselves limited and their role weakened. That could be bad for the Empire, regardless of which side it is.

     People within and without the Empire have been drawing their own conclusions for ages about who is in control of the Empire, actually knowing the answer could disrupt the fine balance of power. Some questions may be better unasked.

    Gian, that is how I see it.

     I guess it goes without saying that the Emperor does have duties and responsibilities in the Empire, I see them as more 'mythic, mystic, and cosmic.' Because I am just learning Glorantha, I am going to leave that discussion for others- I think I'd be out of my league.

Jim Groves

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #536