RE: Explaining other magics

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_viewgate.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:44:49 +0100

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>

>Although Mostali really can't stabilize sylphs, the Orlanthi
>would explain his magic as deriving from the God of the Rock
>Tribe.

Ok.

Interstingly, I hadn't realised that there were limitations to anyone's magical (inc dwarven 'techi' magical) abilities given sufficient magical oomph. Are there any other examples of this - things that certain groups of Gloranthans simply cannot do no matter what? For another example, could a Kralorelan mystic push back the glowline?

>Secondly the matrix is much bigger than five in one direction and
>smaller than five in another. Most Pantheons have their own
>perception but very few bother to distinguish between the foreign
>magic types as the God Learners did.
>Hence the matrix would look something like:

>Orlanthi: We worship the Storm Tribe which also includes the Earth
>Tribe. Other tribes of Gods include the Fire Tribe, the Sea Tribe,
>the Atheist tribe etc.
>Pelorian: We worship Yelm, the Red Goddess and the loyal servant
>gods of the Empire. All other gods are rebels.

Ok, so a theist thinks everybody else is worshipping rebel gods, even though they (everyone else) may not believe themselves to be worshipping gods (like, maybe, dwarves). Presumably this includes their opinion of animists and mystics.

Now how do they explain within their own heads that some of these rebel gods can do things which only their own legitimate gods should be able to do? And maybe do them just as well?

For example, if some sorceror manipulated cats, clearly without any reference to Yinkin, would they think Yinkin was involved there somehow, or would they think that Malkion also has power over cats as well as Yinkin? Or what might a Basmoli think if he saw a sorceror turn himself into a lion?

>Malkioni: There is no God but God and Malkion is his prophet.
>Pagans and apostates worship the False Gods for magic, and their
>error will lead them to an evil end.

Ok. But these False Gods still work, so they can't be altogether false. Or, if false in terms of being gods, they must be something else, like fallen saints or something.

>Kralori: We alone meditate on the sublime truths of the Cosmic
>Dragon. Others have lost contact with this ineffable being through
>their shameless wallowing in the Four Vices.

So wallowing in the Four Vices is dirty, messy, but still effective.

Many thanks.

Richard