Re: I'm bearly able to stand it

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:06:52 +0100 (BST)

Steve Lieb:
> Score one for the Glorantha Digest, once again, another discussion that was
> rolling along (the Rathori raids and the spin off discussions about yurts,
> for example) rather merrily IMO has descended to ad hominem attacks.

In the spirit of all the people currently outting themselves as pedants, I'll offer up that there's been little one could strictly characterise as ad hominem contributions, but rather, much outright abuse... Personally I think people would be well advised to forebear (the unindended puns come thick and fast in this thread) from such in the first place, never mind self-conscious escalation of same. However, that isn't to say I think anyone actually will...

On a more positive note, I wish to pause (paws?) to observe that Nick Brooke has the most excellent opinions on this topic; they accord exactly with my own...

> a) a Rathori foot raiding party could close successfully with a Char Un
> village

Personally I'm think of skirmishing around outlying camps, rather than 'villages' as such, which aside from matters of the semantics of mobile villages, implies to me deeper inside the steppes than I had in mind.

> b) if they don't the raid fails; if they do, can the Char Un flee with
> enough valuables to make the raid not worth implementing (risk vs reward)?
> c) if they can flee with this consequence, the raid fails. if they must
> leave behind valuables worth it for the Rathori:

Depending on what the actual motivation of the 'raid' is; loot may not be the primary consideration. (But is nice when you get it, especially if your 'victim' is two or three further up the 'AST' than you...)

Cheers,
Alex.