Proxies, Emperor

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:22:20 EDT

Me:
> Yeah, I tried to sell this one to Greg after our discussion and was
Gregged.

Alex:
>I don't understand from your later comments (or otherwise) in what fashion
>or in what respect this has been gregged: that the sultans have different
>Masks as forebears, that they worship same, or the 'benefits' they gain
>thereby?

Yep, Greg said that the Emperor is not worshipped on a large scale, he also said his devotees are a tiny bunch, mostly close relative and special agents of his power. All the Proxies are devotees though.

>I can't immediately even see what's controversial about this
>(unlike all this Proxy stuff, which seems Very Eggy (not to be confused
>with 'very Egi') to me, and I will refrain from comment on until it
>starts looking like less of a moving target to we mortals).

Hmm, I'm mortal too, try writing a moving target. It is controversial, especially to Nick and others, because it cuts the lefs out from severel preconceptions of how the Emperor is worshipped, especially from Chris Gidlows Red Emperor cult in Tales #16. I have discovered that such changes in fan perceptions do get the odd person annoyed, or hadn't you noticed Alex? :)

> He has never been a human and is not an avatar (though he does contain
> parts of Yelm).

>I must confess, I don't understand why this _doesn't_ make him an
>avatar of Yelm...

He _is_ an avatar of bits of Yelm, usually Vrimak, but mostly he is not an avatar. The key point here is that he is not, as some have speculated, a human with a past life who then becomes Emperor after being avatar to the Emperors spirit.

> The Egi have no control over _where_ he manifests or how. Sometimes he is
> not believed but he is the Emperor and has the power to chase out those who
> would deny him. In many ways this has been a blessing for often traitors
are
> exposed. One of the Emperors secrets is that he dies deliberately simply
> see what crawls ouf ot the woodwork.

>Or to translate in Nick's Cynic-Speak: the guy who wins any given
>broo-ha-ha about who is the real emperor, obviously is and was the real
>emperor; and if the emperor expires in a sudden, messy, and superficially
>embarrassing manner, it obviously serves some cosmic purpose, _really_.

You could say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

>Obviously another wheeze they swiped off of Kralorela: "Wasn't that the
>Great Dragon Sage, plummeting to his death off that parapet?" "He meant
>to do that, honestly."

Or "oh look, the Emperor was eaten by Varnaga during the Darjiini rites! Thanks goodness he meant to do that, otherwise it could have been terminal"

Martin Laurie