Re: Perceptions of other gods

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:50:20 +0100 (BST)

Richard Develyn:
> So I suppose my question is, does the Malkioni think false gods are 'gods',
> but wrong/evil ones, or does he think false gods are not 'gods' but only
> appear to be gods to the foolhardy (blasphemous) people who are nevertheless
> (how?) able to derive magic from them?

Define 'gods'.

This also has relevance to the question as it applies to Kralorela, I think. In both cases it comes down to the entities revered by the given religion being seen not just as different from the others, but of a different 'category' of entity. Obviously the Malkioni recognise that things exist which the barbarians call 'gods', which are some sort of supernatural thingy, but they do not in any way give them 'parity' with their God. (You can make this distinction as precise or as muddy as you like, depending on which bunch of Malkioni you're talking of, but there is at least a basis for it, as regards immanence, etc.) Also the mode of worship (and arguably, the mode of 'correct' worship) is sufficiently different to justify this semantic niggle.

In Kralorela, the situation is somewhat similar, though almost reversed: worship of 'gods' occurs, but isn't especially highly thought of, whereas reverence of dragons is thought of as being quite different. Details on request (he said, in a desparate attempt to start a K. thread...).

Cheers,
Alex.