Re: Sandokan

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:08:03 +0100 (BST)

Gian Gero:
> The Sandokan Scimitar was not a cavalry weapon, it was mainly fictionary, of
> course. It was a piratesque sea-going weapon, heavy, fanciful, impressive
> and able to cut people like a long-axe. Even if the name is the same, I
> suppose this kind of weapon is altogether different from the cavalry-Lunar
> scimitar. It is related more, as style of fighting, single or two-handed, to
> the Katana.

! I must say that I can't see in what way it'd be related; I've never seen a scimitar used in that manner, and for a weapon as heavy as you describe, and as curved and tip-heavy as scimitars tend to be, I think it'd be impractical in the extreme to do so. Bear in mind that a katana is a relatively light weapon, with a quite different balance, and one that was historically never used against especially heavy armour.

Unless you mean how katana are used in _Highlander_: don't get me started on that, though. ;-)

> I figure the Malaysian pirates as similar to Tsankth and/or Trowjangi
> fighters of Gloranthan Lore.

You may well think that, I couldn't possibly comment... Personally I think they're a good model for Tsankthi, though Officially I don't know, and couldn't tell you if I did. And such is the scarcity of information on Vormain, maybe I wouldn't tell you even if I could. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.