Re: Phalanxes

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:51:06 +0100 (BST)

> Alex that shall be known as Alex:
> >This is the distinction I was referring to as (perhaps too loosely)
> >as 'Greek vs. Macedonian'. However, I'm not clear what you're
> >saying about Dara Happa vs. Pelanda in such respects: are/were
> >Pelandan phalanxes of what you call the 'lighter' formation, or of
> >the heavier type?

That Bloodthirsty Maccum Bloke, that shall be known as Martin:
> Nope, the Pelandans would definately be heavier to begin with. Their
> material advantage would have been made up slowly, so given time a DH and
> Pelandan phalanx would have been similarly equipped, but initially, the
> Pelandans were the heavy inf of the day. The DH phalanx would be medium
> infantry in comparison.

I'm somewhat confused by the way(s) in which you're contrasting light and heavy here, which is either inconsistent between usages (I know, you're in very good comapny here...), or else just succeeded in confusing me (or, I myself) by other means... You're saying, then, that the original formations both used long 1h spears, and the difference is essentially that the Pelandan version was heavier _armoured_, as well as being of somewhat posher individual constitution?

> I would say that the Pelandans are still hoplites. The Sarissa is a great
> weapon to a point (sorry) but is poor in small numbers. Its a kind of
> critical mass weapon. Small tactical bodies do not do well with the Sarissa
> or any large pike as they are too vulnerable to missile fire and flanking.

I don't really see either type as being deployed in small tactical formation: or at least, not through choice. Granted that the hoplites are marginally less screwed than the phalangists, when this happens...

> Given that the Pelandans were top in hoplite warfare
> and were only partly matched by the DHs until the dawn, it seems unlikely
> that the next evolutionary step would have come from them.

Hurm. OK, I'm almost of a mind to believe you, at least that it doesn't originate in Pelanda, and nor yet Darsen, if not in Daxdarius' time. I'll have a ponder on this before I next stick a pin in a map of Peloria... How instrumental was Palangio in all this: is his contribution the deciding factor in 'locating' this in DH? (If I follow your argument correctly...)

> I wonder if Saird was actually the source of the Sarissa.

Saird seems to be 'default place for almost everything to come from'!

> It has interesting Macedonia parallels to the Greek (DH) city states.

That might be an interesting parellel, though I fear the first line (DH:Greece) is a tad wonky...

Cheers,
Alex.