Proxies

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:02:06 +0100

Alex writes,

> Since Martin's comment is merely as strict generalisation of your
> prefered situation (he did, after all, say 'not necessarily', not
> 'necessarily not'), then I vote he wins this round of mystical
> oneupmanship.

OK by me. I am keen, however, for the idea that Proxies *usually* look like Moonson to make it into the public domain, for all sorts of good reasons. Nothing I have seen thus far in Greg or Martin's work supported this. So I'll keep on doing it myself 'til it sticks.

> I can also see amusing game situations in a player (in a suitably
> high-level game), or a pre-existing NPC being 'proxied', without
> having to go around in a rubber mask for the duration.

I agree, but think (given the anal DH pernickitiness of the new material coming out about Moonson) that this will shortly be rendered as soundly non-canonical as any other good recent speculations by an Issaries hit-squad.

After all: if Moonson can elevate an ordinary person into a Proxy, and Proxies can be confused with Moonson, then an ordinary person could become Moonson (after a less cocked-up Proxy War, say). And that's clearly Not On (per canon sources), because it creates too many intriguing and amusing plot ideas for Gloranthan campaigns, leaving you less dependent on the Official Version.

So I think you'll find that Martin has already written up the One True Way for Proxies to be created, which everyone in the Empire knows about, so that nobody important is ever confused by Moonson's plethora of (non-)impersonators.

Or something like that.

(Bitter, moi? :-)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick