Chalana Arroy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:44:40 +1200

Andrew Larsen:

>Chalana Arroy is the current holder of the Harmony Rune, which she
>got somehow from Harana Ilor. Since the rune is supposed to represent the
>strings of a Harp, is there a myth about her finding the Harp of Harmony?

No. The earliest mention of her is the Chalana-who-calms in the KoS myth of "the First Ring".

>It sounds very Godlearnerish, since she isn't associated with music in any
>way, except for Comfort Song.

Harmony is not music. Umath defeats the Predark demon Howling Void with the Harana Ilor in the myth of the "First Harp" yet when he does so, it's implied that he's using it as a sword at the time. Only afterwards is the power of Harana Ilor is stored in Howling Void's breastbone and is recognized as a harp.

Hence I don't think it's worthwhile to retcon Chalana into being associated with harps.

>Since other gods also have the Harmony Rune,
>but she still owns it, presumably others have borrowed the Rune from Harana
>Ilor or gotten it from Chalana Arroy.

I don't think it helpful to view runes as its holder's property and that everybody else with that rune must have explicitly obtained it from the holder.

For example: the Hunter Gods have the runes of death and harmony. In all the myths of the Hunting Gods that we have (Foundchild, Zong, Orogeria and Kenstrata), there is not one mention of them obtaining their killing powers from Humakt or their Harmony powers from Chalana Arroy.

> Additionally, she also has Life, which is still owned by Uleria,
>which means to my mind that she must have drunk from Uleria's cup at some
>point.

Uleria has a cup? I think that Chalana would get her powers because she is the daughter of Glorantha and not because she has borrowed, begged or stolen from Uleria or Harana Ilor.