Sun Dome v Dara Happa

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:20:43 +1000

G'day all,

Sun Dome v Dara Happa

Lowell Francis had a couple of general questions:

>The first question is about the relation of the Sun Dome County(ies) to
>the Lunar Empire. In the "Sun Dome County" supplement we have Solthanos
>Ironspike who likes to duel Dara Happan Rune Lords. Its unlcear to me
>whether that means Lunar-cult Dara Happans or more traditionalist or if
>that even matters; is suspect that it probably means Lunarized DH.

General Armemnon was actually the Lunar Resident in Sun County, imposed upon the Sun Domers following the Lunar conquest of Prax. As a Polaris rune lord, the Lunar high command thought he'd fit in nicely with the Light-worshipping locals and help encourage closer political integration with the Empire. Indeed, he was very close to the incumbent count, Varthanis II, who many thought was in the process of becoming thoroughly Lunarised.

But of course General Armemnon's haughty manner and barely-disguised disdain for what he considered a barbaric travesty of Sun worship ("this 'Yelmalio' is the son of *who*?") incensed those who opposed closer ties with the Lunars. The leader of this faction was Solanthos Ironpike. As part of a cunning plot to install himself as Count, Solanthos goaded Armemnon into challenging him to a duel, and then promptly killed him, effectively taking the Lunar man on the spot out of the picture just as he launched the coup.

Solanthos's takeover was also cleverly timed to take place when the Lunars were otherwise distracted with the erupting Starbrow Rebellion back in Sartar. Beleaguered and undermanned because of the Starbrow crisis, Sor Eel had no choice but to accept Solanthos's fait-accompli, and even had to take up his offer to lend him some Templars! When things finally settled down again, it was obvious that the new regime at the Sun Dome was not going to accept a new Lunar Resident, Dara Happan rune lord or not...

[For more on this, see "The Secret History of Sun County" in QUESTLINES II.]

>What is the response of the average person or even non-average person in
>charge of the Sun Dome County to what has transpired within Dara Happa.

The average person is not going to care less. There are now a few families of Dara Happan exiles living in Sun County who would be interested in news from back home, but they are not a significant part of the local political structure.

>The Red Emperor has passed the tests of the Emperor, and Yelmalios are
>supposed to respect Yelm and Priests of Yelm, so what should their
>response be? How would they react?

As a political reality, the Sun Domers of Prax are staunchly independent, and receive their temporal and spiritual authority from their god Yelmalio.  They respect and revere Yelm too, but at second-hand. They obviously don't have a religious imperative to hate the Lunars like the Orlanthi do, which is why they sided with them at Moonbroth. But as Solanthos's later actions demonstrate, they don't necessarily want to get too close.

>In particular I'm wondering less about Sun County in Prax and more about
the Sun Dome near Sartar.

The Sun Dome in Sartar was founded in recent times: Nick Brooke's web page satisfactorily answers a lot of questions about it.

>Given the mixed messages in the literature about Yelmalio's role within in
Orlanthi
>faiths and the closeness of these people, how would they react to a
>"straight" Yelmi PC or even to a Shargashi PC. What is their relationship
>to present DH culutre?

I don't think they have any meaningful relationship with present DH culture. Like any sane person, they'd probably have as little to do with Shargashi as possible!

Cheers,

MOB PS I don't really want to buy in to the Red Emperor/Proxy speculations. At first I was bemused and chagrined to think that it looked like Stafford et al appear to be deliberately and po-facedly doing an almost 180 degree turn on what has been way-cool, MGFly resonant GAG in this area. But now I see (reading between the lines) what we're getting is just the Official Lunar Empire Spin on how successive Emperors are created etc., and there's an underlying Gloranthan reality which is to be concealed in the initial HW releases, but that we old-timers already know and love. Or at least, that's what I'm going to believe, until explicitly shown otherwise.

MICHAEL O'BRIEN - 9 Parker Street Richmond VIC 3121 Australia +61-3-9428-9048
           Email me : mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html