The Red Emporer and an underlying question

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:32:30 -0400

Graham Robinson poses a very interesting question, which I feel is one of the real underlying questions to the way we define things for the game:

Do we want objective GM information that is absolutely true. or
Do we want subjective GM information that is just an opinion.

I don't think it is the crux of the arguement between Martin/Nick/MOB/et al, but it's still a valid question. I'm sure there are strong opinions in both camps.
As for me, I like to know the absolute truth, but I also like to know what the
popularly held beliefs are too. (yeah, I want my cake and eat it too)

I always get disappointed when I see a lot of well written work get retrofitted out
of existence. It bothers me even more when it happens to good friends of mine.
In the end, it seems inevitable. I just hope that the alternative opinion still gets
to have an avenue to get published. I wonder how that will fit into the Hero Wars
era? It's easy to see how it worked during the great darkness of the 90's, but
that won't be the case shortly. Fan publications (no matter how professional,
fun, and/or scholarly) haven't really had to face "official" game company competition in a long time...