Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #575

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 25 14:40:14 2000

Andreas Mueller:

>I think, this way makes it extremly uninteresting for anybody to become the
>new Emperor, because he can't do all the great things he planned but
>becomes replaced by another spirit/soul.

The same has been said about Belintar (who doesn't seem change in any way from current knowledge, last things I've seen), and still there are people who want to give their body to his soul.

The Pharaoh does inherit memories and probably personality traits of his host. I'm almost reminded of Curzon Dax from DS9 (unless that character was inspired by Belintar - a real possibility there). It is fairly possible that former favourites will remain a bit more equal than others...

With the Pharaoh the host gets a plot of land and power on the Other Side of the Holy Country, with excellent starting capital. While not getting a hero cult, this is probably even better as transcendent retirement for an accomplished heroquester.

I agree that Moonson the Belintar would be dull. I am in favour of Moonson in dominant possession of whoever becomes the new body of the emperor, but with an "interface" retaining that body's former personality.

It would be interesting to find the claimant to Moonson transending to some sort of Lunar mystical nonexistance.

MOB
>>The Pharoah even claims rulership of the six disparate parts of his empire
>>(the Holy Country) in this fashion (ie. as Corn King in Esrolia, The Man
>>Who Broke the Bank in God Forgot, etc.)

Christoph Kohring

>this "etc" is too tantalizing... What is the Pharoah to the inhabitants of
>Heortland, the Shadow Plateau, Caladraland & the Right Arm Isles ?!?

Shadow Plateau: the man who shoves the iron sword into the Only Old One.

Heortland: The man who showed the King to follow Heort's Laws

Caladraland: He who returns from the lava.

Islands: The man who raised Loon Island, better known as the site of the City of Wonders.

>Maybe Belintar _was_ the Red Emperor?

No, he is older than that. Lots older.

>P.S.: What does GAG mean ?

Generally Accepted Glorantha (or something close).