Red Emperor as mystical/magical Lego set

From: Drew Craft <drewcraft_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:35:48 PDT

>From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
>Subject: The Great Red Emperor Controversy
>
>If I have read Martin correctly :
>
>The Red Emperor reforms at some point after death
>He may be weak
>Others may have powers he previously gave them
>Others may have powers they nicked from him - heroquesting, etc.
>He may even have a previous history, although its not really his.
>Nearly everyone can't tell whether its him or not.

My way of finessing the singular Emperor/multiple masks and why anyone would want to take on his awesome responsibilities is to think of the Emperor and his component soul parts as a lego set. While the lego parts and the set are eternal, how they are assembled isn't. Thus by incarnating the emperor not only do you gain the eternal joy and honor of becoming another mystical/magical piece of his spirit, you also get to shape what form the spirit will take. You want to build a peaceful rose garden type, you've got it. You want to build a tank, it's done. Admittedly some parts work better in various roles, which gives you even more incentive to send out proxies carrying around soul parts that aren't required in your immediate grand scheme.
And should your mother decide that your current form isn't appropriate.... Drew, who as a closet Jalakeeli would love to hear about the Dark Empire