Tarsh War intro

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:04:12 +0100

Martin writes:

> There have been some significant amounts of people who _disagree_
> with much of the material in the products you've mentioned. In
> the intro to Tarsh War for example, Greg says that quite explicity.

Anyone wanting to check the veracity of Martin's statement can read Greg's foreword to Tarsh War online, at:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/tarshwar.htm

Greg says, in and of our book, "It's not quite right in all its particulars." Few people, I imagine, would interpret this as "I disagree with much of the material in this book." (Even fewer would print such a damning foreword in their own publications, I am sure).

Indeed, Greg says much the same in the forewords to his notorious Works in Progress, e.g: "This is my best effort at accuracy, but I reserve the right to subsequently correct, alter, add, or subtract from this edition."

I think that's a fair reflection of how "right" Tarsh War is.

FWIW, I remember that Greg dislikes the use of the word "Lieutenant" to describe an officer's right-hand man; he changed his mind about what troop type "Dragoons" were after the book was complete (apparently they're donkey-soldiers, now); and there may have been a couple of other things that we were informed were "not quite right", but I forget the details.

The official Stratelibri wargaming products, on the other hand, reached a state of absolute Platonic perfection, as everyone knows, and therefore cannot manifest themselves in this humble mundane world of ours. :-)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick