Becoming Moonson

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:04:16 +0100

Martin writes:

> As a caveat to [MOB's] "big yawn" comment, I feel precisely the same
> way about the whole noble becomes Emperor and is given divine powers
> routine. It's been done before in the RW and in Glorantha. I think
> it would be a far more interesting Empire if the Emperor was singular
> and was _not_ replaced in the manner described in the Moonson LARP. YGMV.

"Life of Moonson" says nothing about the way in which the Emperor is brought back from the dead. We never stated how much or how little of the victorious "mandated" candidate would influence the next Mask. Would a Mask coalescing around Roan-Ur through the power of the Egi become Moonson Chaoticus, or a reincarnated Argenteus, or something altogether different ("Exactly what the Empire needed most at that moment," the Chronomancer-Scribes will write with 20/20 hindsight).

(I will always remember the frisson that occurred at the end of the first run, when Rex Bean's Count Julan became the new Mask, and immediately started acting like his dissolute, decadent predecessor...)

Moreover, Martin is forgetting that the closing action of LoM represents an unusual hero plane ritual performed during a crisis in the Lunar New Year Ceremony, and is not an "accurate" reflection of a "normal" succession crisis.

To quote Greg's article (in the Rough Guide to Glamour):

	At the sunset of the sixth day, the Emperor dissolves his
	body, leaving the Annual Staff suspended in the air until
	his return.

	Surrounding the floating Staff are the most intimate friends,
	relatives and trusted staff members. They face the floating
	staff and maintain magical contact with their beloved leader
	as he traverses the magical planes. Certain among them, in
	ritual turn, will rise and address the crowds gathered outside
	the circle, explaining the routes and rites which the Emperor
	is experiencing. At the end of the sixth day, if all is
	successful, everyone loses contact with the Emperor. Usually
	a stupor passes over all the assembled crowd, most of whom
	simply collapse in the court.

	No one knows what happens to the Emperor the next day. How-
	ever, he has always returned, and so the rite is a perfect
	success. The Empire takes that as a sign of their "correct-
	ness".

I mean, come on, now: the action of LoM takes place in the imperial capital at the time of the Lunar New Year Ceremony. When suddenly! the Empire is attacked from all sides by its foes, both internal and external! The Emperor dies! The Empire shakes! All seems lost! But no -- by pulling together, all the Good Lunar Citizens present can bring Moonson back, and all is restored. The New Year brings the reborn Lunar energies of the Empire. Hurrah, and Three Cheers for His Imperial Majesty!!!

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick