Red Emperor

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:31:38 +0800

        If the Emperor can export parts of his soul, separate them and send them off, why can't he import other parts? Such as the consciousness of ambitious Lunar heroquesters attempting to become Emperor?

And Matt Thale makes a fantastic suggestion
>This leads me to believe that the Lunar Empire (or factions within
>the empire) have some sort of secret knowledge regarding the process
>of reincarnation.
>
>Perhaps this secret knowledge was not originally developed/researched
>as a means to defeat Belintar, but rather an outgrowth of research on
>how to interfere with the reincarnation of the one true red emperor.

        One of the reasons why I would prefer to not have the details of the Red Emperors succession tied down is that I see the upper Lunar nobility who are involved as pretty much the most magically ingenious, innovative, cunning, ambiguous people in the whole of Glorantha. They have a whole religion based around changing everything, throwing over established order, seeking hidden truth, and so on. Whatever the canonical situation of the Red Emperors succession, when a few hundred Lunar demigods, master magicians, and heroes get involved (remember, the politics of the succession is Moon politics as well as Pelorian politics), the real truth of what goes on is likely to become so arcanely complex that questions like 'is this person the real Red Emperor' are likely to become incapable of being answered simply.

        Yes, I see them as being able to interfere with reincarnation, and willing to use it. I also see them as being able to steal memories, combine or separate souls, rewrite history, believe contradictory things, cause others to believe contradictory things, interfere with time.

	Cheers
		David