Single Emperor makes me GAG

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:25:10 +1000

G'day all,

Single Emperor makes me GAG

I said:

>>Just because it was written by "fans" doesn't mean it should be dismissed
>>out of hand.

Martin replies:

>Nothing is dismissed out of hand. I read everything done and use what
works.
> You make it sound like I read an article, find out Nick wrote it and then
>turf it for its origin alone. Not true. If its good and fits, it gets
used,
>if it doesn't then I move on.

And yet, appearances are to the contrary. Back in GD V7 #381, you stated quite explicitly that the HW Lunar Empire book:

>won't include the Tales stuff, much as it won't include a Kyger Litor
>write up...

Ask Chaosium/AH why, but they reprinted the KL cult 3 or 4 times (and then Stephen Martin did it *again* in his BoDR!), and readers were rightly annoyed at having essentially the same material dished up over and over again.

While familiarity might breed contempt, the TotRM/Megacorp/Tarsh War/LoM/whatever material has only appeared in their original publications.  These, you later argue, will be inaccessable and unavailable to the new HW fans, who will only have the new HW sources to go on; ipso facto, they will never see any of the entertaining material that has already been created, used, gamed with and Generally Accepted. And if they do happen on a moldering copy of Tales #16, I suspect that they will find it is bewilderingly divergent from what's ended up in SGU.

>And much without his approval and some with his active disapproval. But
hey,
>Reaching Moon was publishing, Greg wasn't so the cards weren't on his
table.
>Ultimately he could only advise and caution and at least _something_ was
>being published. At the very, very least it has sparked interesting debates
>widely and thoroughly. Mostly the fan stuff gave good ideas and fun
>concepts.

Which appear to have been largely binned.

>>That's why (admittedly in face of
>>mounting evidence to the contrary) I blithely choose to believe that this
>>"single emperor" nonsense

>You say "nonsense" but it makes perfect sense, you just don't like it.
>Disagree with it, but why use such a word to describe it?

I say "nonsense" because I like to think that there is another underlying Gloranthan reality. I prefer to think that the notion of an ever-reincarnating single personality is in fact largely a charade foisted on the populace, but as you go higher up in Lunar society, people probably have a deeper understanding of how the succession really works and what the implications are. This leads IMO to far more interesting plot, MGF and gaming possibilities than having the same bloke come back time and time again.

So, I agree your model makes "perfect sense" in and of itself. I just don't think it is as interesting as the current GAG model.

Cheers,

MOB

MICHAEL O'BRIEN - 9 Parker Street Richmond VIC 3121 Australia +61-3-9428-9048
           Email me : mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html