Martin's One Rule

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:44:31 +0100

Martin writes:

> I have one rule in life that I hold sacrasanct. If it ain't broke, break
> it anyway and see if we can build a better one, cos NOTHING is perfect.

Contribute what you can, by all means. But why go out of your way to "break" (or ignore) perfectly good material by other people, and wind them up in the process? No wonder people don't like you!

BTW, is there anything in GRAY or FS or Ent that you have "broken" recently? (Or is that material already broken enough for you?). (Or are some things more perfect and sacrosanct than others?)

> You make it sound like I read an article, find out Nick wrote it and then
> turf it for its origin alone.

No: *you* make it sound like there *are* no published articles for you to read, or established authors for you to correspond with, or previous versions against which your imperfect creations can be compared.

> I don't want the fan publications to become pejoritive in players minds,
> I've got the odd piece in there myself. However, its going to happen.

This is a bizarre non-sequitur. Why is fan-published material *necessarily* going to take on perjorative connotations? I do not understand this at all.

> Greg is no less human than any of us. I don't know what he said to you in
> the past, but plainly you disagree on it.

I am sure Greg would agree that he has "changed his mind" since discussing the nature of Moonson with us at that early RQ-Con. Since Greg is well aware that he irritates people by doing this (cf. his RQ-Con 1 con book article), it is hardly surprising that we are irritated. MOB more than myself, of course, because the gregging of "Sun County" is the most egregious, unacceptable, downright idiotic thing I have *ever* seen inflicted on a productive collaborator.

We know Greg is annoyed with some aspects of some fan publications. He can't write everything himself; indeed, for many years he wasn't even trying. Generalising from this to claim that Greg would prefer that "Life of Moonson" or "Tarsh War" or "Tales of the Reaching Moon" had never existed seems bizarre. He has always told me that he found LoM the most enjoyable of the three Megacorp freeforms, he wrote us a foreword for TW, and he is a frequent contributor to Tales.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick