Mandate of the Moon

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:46:21 +0100

Martin writes:
>> Here is a BIG SECRET from "Life of Moonson":
>> Any character who came to the referees at the appropriate juncture (i.e.
>> after Argenteus' death) and asked if they could please have a Mandate of
>> the Moon, would receive one.

> Aha, not much of a mandate then, is it?

Think about it. One of the things the "mandate" confers is the belief that one is personally capable of helping to reconstitute the Red Emperor. (This may be innate, or revealed at times of crisis).

So we decided that anyone playing in the game who *believed* that they should be personally capable of reconstituting the Red Emperor, would receive a mandate and be allowed to "go for it".

Compare Keith's recent post re: Carmanian Shahs:

>	There was no magical 'Mantle of Sovreignty' -- although there
>	was a quest to gain such an item, it was essentially to convince
>	the Shah of their own self belief, (an important point, you cannot
>	be Shah if you do not believe that you are Shah, I would think
>	ditto for the Red Emperor).

I don't think that makes it "not much of a mandate". It's more an esoteric quirk of Moonson's nature, amusingly exposed through the game mechanics.

Please remember that practically everyone in "Life of Moonson" is a worshipped entity with a cult of devoted followers. It's not as if just *anyone* can get this far...

> Those sad characters without said envelopes are doubly baffled and
> are excluded from the process, because, after all, if they were to
> be included according to the GMs writing of the plot, then they too
> would have had an envelope.

I think you'll find they were sad players, not sad characters.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick