Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #579

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:39:04 -0500

> "Terra Incognita" wrote:
>

>> In RW, many historical changes (with Many Death) occured with
>> Diseases: FREX, BLACK DEATH PESTILENCE (Asia to Europe) made
>> Centralization of Power from Feudalism (I dare to misinterpretation
>> of word "Feud" as small-scale conflict again.) Syphilis (New World
>> to Old World) was exchanged of Smallpox (Old World to
>> New World)

    The Black Death had little to do with the breakdown of Feudalism (at least, that's what I think you're arguing). Feudalism was already an institution in decay when the Black Death struck Europe. It did help weaken the institution of serfdom, at least in England.

    Also, it has not been proven that Syphilis is a new world disease. While it's a common theory, there is some evidence, as I recall, to suggest that syphilis was present in Europe already in the mid-15th century.

Andrew E. Larsen