Re:Chasing Shadows

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:56:09 -0500

> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:58:17 +0100
> From: "Gerry Crowe" <Gerry.Crowe_at_intecsystems.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Chasing Shadows
>
>>> I think comparing Greg to this is unfair.  Greg is

>> attempting to write a
>>> world that he loves and lives.  He wants it right and he

>> makes changes based
>>> on what he feels is write.  We don't always understand or

>> agree with his
>>> motives but he does it because he wants _his_ Glorantha to

>> be correct or true to himself.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Greg declare at the end of G:CotHW that Glorantha is "yours, not mine"? It seems to me that this statement amounts to a transfer of final creative control over Glorantha from himself to a wider body of fans. The whole reason I say this is that complaints about being Gregged are a symptom of the assumption that Greg is still the final authortity on the game. This is not tosay that we don't owe Greg a lot for his efforts or that we shouldn't respect his opinion of things, just that it's more problematic that it's worth to allow him a veto over everything that gets produced for Glorantha. Obviously, material officially produced by Issaries, Inc. is a different matter, since it's his company.

Andrew E. Larsen
(wondering what he's getting himself into)