Empires and Emperors

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:16:27 +0800

>As a caveat to your "big yawn" comment, I feel precisely the same way about
>the whole noble becomes Emperor and is given divine powers routine. It's
>been done before in the RW and in Glorantha. I think it would be a far more
>interesting Empire if the Emperor was singular and was _not_ replaced in the
>manner described in the Moonson LARP.

        Actually, to go off at a complete tangent, one of the things that has come to annoy me about Glorantha (or at least Genertela) is exactly that it has consistent Emperors for the two biggest empires. Godunya has been the same person for the last several hundred years, and now we are told that Moonson has two, despite all appearances to the contrary.

        Now, go read some history for inspiration about Empires. What you find is the fantastic story of struggles of dynasties. They rise, they fall, in dozens of entertaining ways. Its also, basically by Greggly fiat, pretty much completely inapplicable to Glorantha in the modern era. Dozens of interesting campaign ideas for those Empires go down in flames. Damn.

        I started reading Chinese history to get a feel for Kralorela. I was struck by two things. One, that this was damn fun, and two, that it wasn't Kralorela, or the Lunar Empire either. THe Dara Happan Empire has some fun historical changes of dynasty, but the Lunar Empire is a whole different deal. And the Dara Happan Empire is the past, where most of us do not particularly want to play.

	Cheers
		David