Red dwarf singularities

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:16:26 -0400 (EDT)

The Big Red Buttbrain (Emperor to those dumb enough to pay him any heed) is singular AND he isn't.

It works like this:

There is, and always has been One and only One Moonson. Before Sheng's little Moonlight Madness Dance Party, he was always Very Much The Same (TM). After the MMDP (still commemorated at Moonlight Madness Dance Parties held by Pentan tribes to this day), he is the same, but he is different. Y'see, NOW they have to find a host to rebuild him into. That has some effect. One thing that is true about Glorantha--the Vessel MATTERS! Let me repeat this: The Vessel MATTERS! I should say this again: The Vessel MATTERS! It is not purely passive. It will have some effect on the final product. Likewise, more than one suitable vessel exists at any one time. Red Butthaid makes sure of that--JUST in case. If there were only one vessel at a time, WOOF! What happens if both Red Butthaid and the vessel get offed?

Lots of trouble for the empire until a new vessel shows up--kind of like what happens in HW.

Now, likewise, Red Butthaid has to be reassembled. The trauma of doing so takes a LOT out of the goobers who do the task--probably kills a few of 'em each time on a very permanent (even for Glorantha) basis. SOMEthing of sufficient value has to be fed to appropriate Chaos entities, after all, and that SOMEthing would be in some ways at least ever slightly different from what (who) you had last time. Different materials: Different product. Likewise, the need for at least a few different builders each time means that the product will be different, EVEN, and I say EVEN if (look at me when I talk at ya, son), they have the same blueprints and more or less the same materials (and a suitable vessel).

That is how the Bit Red Buttbrain is both the same and different.

Silly boys--whenever there is a contradiction in Glorantha, it usually means that BOTH alternatives are true.