SU? Nay, US!

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_mail.bol.bg>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:59:45 +0200

Given the differences pointed out many times on how Brits & Yanks on "how the Lunar Empire" is seen, I'd be interested if there's different commonly-held viewpoints in other countries -- especially outside Western Europe.

I can see where from certain viewpoints (say, of someone living in SE Europe, or Russia, or Latin America) where one could infer that the **US* is the model for the Lunar Empire, not the SU. And 1990s America with its penchant for intervention works even better! Consider:

and, lastly, and perhaps best of all:

Of course, there's lots of reasons why it's *not* a good model (it's a settler state, lacks strong ethnic "subregions," tradition of naval power, "MTV & Nike" chic unsatisfying for Red Moon fashion, etc.) -- but it works well enough IMO you could use it as the "concept" for a game.

This isn't to mock Chris' model, note; it's a suggestion that in the the US, too, can be a fruitful model for evoking a certain kind of atmosphere for the Lunars, with the caveats of ensuring that you don't use too many anachronistic elements.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #593