Re: the long arms of the law; even more Red Emperor

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:12:49 -0700

Andreas asked

>1. What's the legal situation of a lunar citizen in Prax?
>2. What's the legal situation of a lunar noble/part of Sor-Eels
>household/administrator in Prax?
>
>From the "Heroes of Wosdom" I know, that the Orlanthi militia had no
>right to arrest me (though they did nethertheless ;-). Nearly the same
>would apply to anybody of Sor-Eels household, I think. On the other
>hand, tricksters are said to be outside of the law (at least in Orlanthi
>Law).
>
>What would happen, if Agrestis, the trickster of Sor-Eel would be found
>to be a thief, killer or such? I would say, he would stand outside of
>Sir Davis Garhounds justice and only be subject to a lunar court.
>Despite this, he would have ended in Garhounds jail for several hours
>(if nobody of the Lunars would have been on the scene of arrest), and
>nothing more would have been needed.

In general, empires are collections of self-governing entities with an overall authority. So if an Orlanthi militia originally governed an area, it still would (subject to imperial authority).

On the other hand, Lunar law would take precedence, and likely the Orlanthi militia would only have jurisdiction over Orlanthi.

On the other hand (we are Lunars after all!), the Orlanthi militia probably would be empowered to arrest lawbreakers, and turn them over to a Lunar court for justice. So I think that Agrestis could indeed be arrested.

The final hand: I don't remember the exact state of affairs. If the Lunars had fully imposed military governorship, this would be a temporary situation in which Lunar law was the only law.

Martin wrote of the Red Emperor

>Perhaps his body was given
>to him by a willing noble and this started a tradition of this kind of thing,
>but I mentioned this before on the digest and the response was that it was
>similar to the Pharoah and was a big yawn. So that's out.

This seemed like the best way to reconcile the masks. It may look on the surface like the Pharaoh, but certainly the mechanics are different (different masks behave differently, which isn't true of the Pharaoh, is it?).

As per my previous message, the difference may be heroforming vs takeover. In the catastrophe Greg wants for the Hero Wars, nobody would be able to call on the Emperor and successfully heroform.